Dedicated to Sobriety
7537 Mentor Ave.
Mentor OH 44060
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR FULL INFORMATION SHEET
Welcome to Smart Recovery! Ours is a nonprofit, self help program built not on powerlessness, but upon the idea that only you can control your addictions. We provide a whole combination of scientifically proven techniques that you can pull from in your recovery. Many of our methods are based upon Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy techniques as applied to addictions issues. Some of the “tools” in our “toolbox” are:
- Motivational Enhancement - How to move from the contemplation phase to the action phase.
- Destructive Self Talk Awareness & Refusal Module (DISARM the Voice) - REBT techniques to listen to the multiple voices in our minds and identify the “enemy” voice that cajoles and camouflages its intent to get us to use. Emphatic refusal to allow any excuse is integral to this program.
- REBT - Using the techniques of active disputing and other techniques of cognitive therapy.
- Behavior modification - Tools such as relaxation techniques help sobriety go easier.
- Rehearsals - Anticipating events and rehearsing our responses.
- Lifestyle changes - Rebuilding a life requires we fill the “void” left by addictive substances.
- Permanent Abstinence Commitment - Building lifelong commitment to sobriety is the ultimate strategy, and we show how and why it is the core of our program.
We are a non-spiritually based, non-religious alternative to AA that does not look at sobriety as contingent upon anything but your willingness to stop using. We just give you the tools to make it easier. Our meetings are confidential. We do not believe addictions are due to moral, spiritual personality, mental, or genetic defects. Addictions, in fact, take all comers. We do not demean people because of their addictions and don’t do “Drunkalogues” or “moral inventories” or label ourselves as “diseased”. We do empower people to take charge of their own lives and move on to a life of sobriety without any dependence on a group or a single methodology. We welcome you to release from chemical dependence and all addictive behaviors.
We meet at 7:00 pm Thursdays at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Annex 4313 Lake Ave. Wilmington NC 28443